When Dermalogica meets skin, skin health is redefined. Dermalogica is the number one choice of skin care professionals and consumers worldwide.
While the Dermalogica story begins in 1986, the force of change in the industry started in Los Angeles, circa 1983. Jane Wurwand, a tenured, United Kingdom-trained skin therapist new to the American “esthetician” industry, recognized that continuing skin and body therapy education was practically non-existent in the United States. While her training had been comprehensive and serious, US students entered the industry licensed yet under-trained, and worse, under-respected.
Jane put her education in action, opening a small classroom in Marina del Rey, California under the name The International Dermal Institute (IDI). She invited licensed skin therapists to get hands-on with the postgraduate training so critical to making them competitive in the business. Today, IDI is considered the international gold-standard for postgraduate skin and body therapy training with 37 locations worldwide.
dermalogica is born
While teaching at IDI, it didn’t take long for Jane to realize no product line embraced her belief of skin health as opposed to “beauty,” so she developed her own. And in 1986, Dermalogica was born. The vision was clear – a product line free of common irritants and ingredients that could cause breakouts (including lanolin, SD alcohol, mineral oil, artificial colors and fragrances) that would improve skin health, and were only available from qualified skin care professionals trained at The International Dermal Institute.
we’re not pretty
(Or beautiful. Or pampering. Or luxury.) We’re far too interested in guiding you to a new level of skin health fitness! So, while our packaging may not be designed to color-coordinate with your bathroom, you can always be sure that we use ingredients that we know will work – our confidence founded by skin care professionals worldwide who use our products in their treatment rooms every day because they get results.
• We are recognized cruelty-free by PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) and Leaping Bunny.
• We are certified vegan on all but 4 of our products.
• We have been clean since 1986. Our formulas are free of artificial colors and fragrances, mineral oil, lanolin, S.D. alcohol, parabens and microplastics.
• By the end of 2020, 90% of our packaging will be recyclable or bio-degradable. Much of our packaging is already sustainable.
• Going forward, all paper and cartons we use are FSC certified to be sustainable for forests.
• Our formulae are all manufactured in California, which boasts some of the world’s strongest environmental and consumer protections.
awards and buzz
People like Dermalogica.
As the professional’s choice in skin care, you’ll find one of our 100,000 Dermalogica skin therapists near you. view corporate offices worldwide
Visit one of our concept spaces for the complete Dermalogica experience, and change your skin health forever! learn more
What are beauty editors saying about Dermalogica products?